GREEN SPRINGS - Long Run Locations
- Intersection of East Green Springs Road and East Jack Jouett Road, Route 15, Louisa, VA 23093
- Green Springs on Strava | West 4.5 mi. | Southeast 3 mi.
- Green Springs on MapMyRun
- Official Green Springs Historic District Website
- Google Maps
This just might be one of the most beautiful and serene soft surface long distance road training areas in Central Virginia. With over 20 different pre-Civil War farms, this 14,000 acre sanctuary was designated by the Federal Government as a National Historic District in the early 1970s. And thank goodness because today it represents over 22 miles of quiet gravel roads that wind through some of the most beautiful scenery in Virginia. And thanks to some wonderful Louisa friends who live in the "district," we will be able to do some of our training runs on this magnificent course.
From our starting point at the chapel, you have four different options as to which way to run (see map). Depending on the "spoke" (road), you will encounter a variety of terrain options, ranging from very flat (East Jack Jouett) to somewhat hilly and challenging (Hamilton Road). The neat thing about the design of this special course is that you can keep coming back to your original starting point (the chapel) for water and other supplies. Despite it's "Louisa address," this run is actually closer to get to for many Charlottesville folks than Dick Woods, Free Union, Keene, or White Hall.
DIRECTIONS: Take 64 East to the Zions Crossroads exit (Route 15). Come off the ramp and take a left onto Route 15 (North). Follow 15 North for about 2.5 miles and look for East Green Springs Road on your right. Turn right and proceed for about 2 miles where you will see the historic St. John's Chapel on your left.
PARKING: St. John's Chapel. This is our official designated parking area and it's the only place our friends, who own the farms throughout the district, have given us permission to park. We thank them for their hospitality.
WATER STOPS (12 Coolers):
- Church (Parking area) (Please put 2 coolers of water and 2 coolers of Gatorade at this location.)
- Corner of Route 15 and E Jack Jouett
- 1 Mile from Corner of Route 15 and E Jack Jouett
- 1/4-1/2 mile from Route 15
- Corner of E Jack Jouett and Poindexter